North & South with Multi Island Hires
Avis New Zealand operates a separate car fleet in each of New Zealand's two main islands (North Island and South Island) and to help travellers wishing to travel across Cook Strait, between the two islands, we have initiated a special rental system called a 'Multi-Island Hire'.
This type of rental allows us to create one continuous booking, at one rate, even though the rental will require a change of vehicle - one rental car in the North Island and another rental car in the South Island.
Multi Island Hire - Booking Options
Booking a multi-island rental online:
- Complete a reservation for the entire journey - from initial pick-up location to the final drop-off location (e.g. Auckland - Christchurch)
- Contact our reservations team (firstname.lastname@example.org) and advise the 'Reservation Number' and your planned itinerary
- A reservations agent will then create separate reservations for each leg of your journey, ensuring that the rate applied covers the entire rental period
- You will then be advised of the new reservation numbers, which also go to each rental location so they can have your vehicle ready for collection
Booking a multi-island rental by phone or email:
- Contact our reservations team toll free on 0800 284 722 or if you're calling from Auckland on 09 526 3256
- From outside New Zealand, phone +64 9 526 3256
- Email your travel dates and itinerary to email@example.com
Important things to remember when booking a Multi-Island Hire:
- If you collect a car from a rental location on one island and leave the vehicle at a rental location on the other island, without Avis authorisation, you will be charged an automatic relocation fee of NZD$450.00 (inc. GST)
- If you wish to collect your rental car outside of the normal operating hours for Avis Picton & Avis Wellington Ferry Terminal, a 'Meet Late Arrival' fee of NZD $50 + GST will apply. Please refer to the following pages for location opening hours, contact details, and location maps:
Please Note: Special Terms & Conditions Apply*
Booking Your Interisland Ferry Sailing
For any travel between the North & South islands on a Multi-Island Hire, it is the renters responsibility for booking the Interisland Ferry crossing as foot passengers.
For all ferry bookings and information on Cook Strait ferry sailings, please visit either Interislander or Bluebridge.
Procedure for Drop Off & Pick Up
- When you drop off your rental car at either Wellington Ferry Terminal or Picton Ferry Terminal, please ensure the car has a full tank of petrol. That way you will avoid paying a premium for petrol at the location. Upon arrival at your destination, there will be a new rental car waiting with a full tank of petrol, so you do not end up paying twice.
- Do not leave the rental car unlocked with the keys in it. Please return the keys to the Avis rental counter located at the Interislander Ferry Terminal.
- If you are travelling on the Bluebridge ferry to Wellington, you will need to make your own way by taxi to the Avis rental counter located in the Interislander Ferry Terminal.
- If you book a Multi-Island Hire and need to cross Cook Strait by ferry, it is your responsibility to book the Interisland Ferry crossing as foot passengers.
- If you rent a Portable GPS Navigation unit, please take the unit with you on the ferry. That way you will avoid any short supply issues at your destination. The GPS Navigation units can be used in all rental vehicles.
- At your destination port, an Avis representative will be waiting with the keys to your new rental car, ready for your onward journey.
- When you drop off your car at Avis, you will need to walk a short distance to board the ferry as foot passengers.